Thursday, August 14, 2014

Back to School | College Essentials {Dorm/1st Apartment}

Hey everyone! Yvette here with another back to school video. My first video was all about fashion which you can view here. This video is all about essential things you are going to need for your dorm or first apartment. Although this isn't so much fashion or beauty related, I still wanted to make a video about dorm life. I know when I first moved away from home when I was 19 I forgot a lot of these things and bought them along the way plus much more. Now these are just suggestions, if you feel like this you don't need some of these items, don't purchase them. All these photos are from Target.com. I hope you all find this helpful. Enjoy!


 Top Ten Essentials
1. Storage. Most of the time our first apartments/dorms are small and might have a roommate. Since your space is limited you want to have tons of storage organizers. IKEA, Target and K-mart are great places to shop for budget friendly storage containers. Such as:
    under the bed storage organizers, over the door shoe rack, bunk bed organizer (can use a car organizer and put it over your bunk bed)







2. Mini Fridge. Most dorms allow a small mini fridge and I've seen some great ones at Costco at an affordable price. Target has some too!

 3. Train case for your makeup. If you are a makeup enthusiast this is a must. Target and K-mart have very inexpensive caboodles and small train cases. If you're in a dorm, you'll probably be doing your makeup in the communal showers. So a small container for your makeup will be great to take back and forth to your room

4. Shower Caddy. You don't need this items so much if you're in your apartment. A caddy is more for students in the dorms because your bathroom isn't in your room. Its usually down the hall, and you want to take your towel, shampoo, conditioner, blow dryer, flip flops, toothbrush, toothpaste and what ever else you might need all in one bag/caddy.

5. Shower Flip Flops. If you are in the dorms, shower flip flops are super important. I cannot even begin to imagine all the bacteria that crawl around in the bathrooms. PLEASE, your poor feet will thank you ;)

 6. Desk Lamp. Most dorms and apartments have next to nothing and the lighting is always quite poor. So you don't strain your eyes, think about getting a nice lamp so you can do your homework.

                         

7. Push Pins. This is more of a decor item. Most of the time the dorms have a cork board wall where you can post pictures, hang necklaces, dream catchers and/or notes. Also most apartments don't allow you to hang stuff, by using a push pin the hole is a lot smaller and easier to Spackle.

                                                      

8. Alarm Clock. I know you're probably thinking I have my phone BUT think of your alarm clock as your back up. I remember there were days were I didn't hear my phone or I forgot to charge it and it shut off in the middle of the night. So you don't miss class think about getting an alarm clock/mp3 player.

                                                         

 9. Hamper. My nine and ten are the most important! Whether you are in the dorms or in an apartment building you will need a hamper. Most of the time the laundry room is on the first floor, so you definitely want to buy one to help you take your clothes up and down the stairs.

10. Kit. I'm talking First Aid Kit, tool kit and/or sewing kit. You might think this is unnecessary but trust me it will come in handy. I don't know how many times I had a tear in my blouse, or needed a band aid. Also if you are buying furniture you will most likely need tools to put it together. The 99cent store has very inexpensive kits. Target and Kmart do too!


I hope you found this helpful!


                                  



No comments:

Post a Comment